Friday, May 9, 2008

What's in a name?

"The name of a man is a numbing blow from which he never recovers." -Marshall McLuhan

While you may think this post has something to do with my new name, it does not. I am very pleased with my new name and have embraced it fully, although it sometimes takes me a minute on the phone to give the right name.

Rather, this post has to do with the names that parents choose to give to their children. I am constantly amazed at the seemingly thoughtless act of naming a child. This is their name for crying out loud, what they will be known as for the rest of their life! In Utah, the pattern seemed to be to come up with a "unique" spelling or creating a "new" name. (Now, some of you may be thinking that I, of all people should not discuss the spelling of names. But--I did not choose the spelling of my own name and I was also born 20 or so years before this craze came about.)
Now that I have worked in children's hospitals in 3 different states, it's evident that this problem stretches far outside of Utah. I currently work in the PACU (recovery room) and so we have an operating room schedule with every patients name on it. Typically we scan the schedule for names we may find entertaining. Today was no different but the amount of names was absurd. Here is a sampling.
This is not a joke. These are some of the names on the schedule today. All in one day. Jackpot. (that's not one of the names.)

Hooper
Drusilla
Ryen
Zayben
Declan
Favian
Shania
Anjulena

Seriously? Drusilla? Seriously? Now, this is not an attempt to offend anyone who may know a child with these names or maybe even named their child one of these names. It is just my own little brain trying to grasp what drives a parent to name their sweet little baby Drusilla or Zayben. Maybe you can help me understand. Please, anyone....

"People's fates are simplified by their names." -Elias Canetti

11 comments:

Bethany and Cameron said...

Oh don't even get me started!!! Those are...um...amazing names! Really? Drusilla? Wow...My mom always gets annoyed when she hears a name like that! It's pretty funny! At least it keeps you entertained, right?

Caleb and Jenni said...

Hey Kaydi! It's Jenni Seaman...first off, as a NICU nurse at the U, I can definitely relate with the name thing: Stormi, Davina, Honie (pronounced Honey)...I could go on and on. Seond of all, if travel nursing gets you a husband, sign me up! I got your number from my mom, so I am sure we will be talking very soon! I'm looking for a good recruiter and I'm planning on starting the beginning of the year. PS your wedding pictures are INCREDIBLE! Congrats!

Jami said...

That's nothing...one of the worst i saw at good old PCMC was, and I am going to pronounce it first,

"AB suh dee"

Doesn't sound that awful?? Well, here's the worst part. They spelled her name like this...

Abcde.

No kidding.
Love ya!
Jami

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have been wanting to post something about this on my blog but was afraid to. Haha! I have noticed lately that people are making up names, too, and I don't get it. Some are ok, but most are just weird.

Chrystal said...

Drusilla . . . isn't that one of Cinderella's step-sisters?? Drusilla and Anastasia?

KIMBERLIN 6 said...

Hey Kaydi-
Just had to comment because I actually know a 30 something Drucilla. I think it is Greek or Italian and she goes by Dru. It completely suits her. I didn't know her full name until it came up on caller ID. But yes, I can agree. I wish I could tell you some of the first and last names of kids I've taken care of. Secret, being the name of one kid that comes to mind. If only you knew her last name!

KIMBERLIN 6 said...

Hey Kaydi-
Just had to comment because I actually know a 30 something Drucilla. I think it is Greek or Italian and she goes by Dru. It completely suits her. I didn't know her full name until it came up on caller ID. But yes, I can agree. I wish I could tell you some of the first and last names of kids I've taken care of. Secret, being the name of one kid that comes to mind. If only you knew her last name!

Jill J said...

If you take Favion for your first born, I will be sorely disappointed. That would leave me with my second choice for my first born :)

The Becker Bunch said...

Thanks SO much for the head up on Washington. I've heard it's only about 3 hours to Seattle from Portland, so we'd have to come see you guys!! FUN!! We're excited, just kinda freaking out right now at how fast things are happening. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!! As for the name thing...I'm one of THOSE people!!:) I like weird names or spellings. We have Keaton...which not many people have even heard of...although it's getting more popular. And Lilee, which is old fashioned(lily) but different spelling!! Oh well!! Some of those are just WRONG though!! The worst I've heard is when a HUGE football player in college stood up when his teacher couldn't pronounce his name and said, "It's Shu-Theed"! It was spelled...S-H-*-*-H-E-A-D!! What is WRONG with those parents?! I hope that isn't bad to put on your blog!!:) And I'm sorry for the novel!!:) I'll keep you posted on the move for sure!!

The Wiseman Life said...

WOW...those are some seriously crazy names. Those poor kids. I really miss you! No, Really!!!

Marie said...

OK, don’t hate me but I have to say something in defense of the crazy name people. Naming kids is really, really hard. I had an almost impossible time with it, I didn’t name my kids until the last possible moment (right before we left the hospital). And I can attest that under the influence of all those crazy hormones (and in opposition to or under the influence of crazy parents) people do make funny choices. If you know me you probably know my families names – it is not always fun having a weird name but it isn’t the end of the world. I didn’t actually end up with the names I preferred for my kids and have had friends who chose names that I thought were really weird (How nice, is that a family name?). I would guess that Anjulena and Ryen are just alternate (or foreign) spellings for Angelina and Ryan. Declan is actually a really popular Irish name. My husband has had coworkers who have had foreign names what were pronounced “She” and “It”. Confusing for sure but just part our global community.