Monday, October 29, 2007

Where Bees Come to Die...

"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man," said Albert Einstein.



I was quite intrigued this summer by all of the attention the disappearing bees were getting. Apparently we are on the verge of a "bee apocalypse" as one journalist put it. I believe the correct name for the phenomenon is "colony collapse disorder." Honey bees everywhere are not returning there hives, threatening mankind's very survival cue to their vital contribution to plant pollination. I spent my summer captivated by subject. Trying to learn more as to where the bees were going and how this would impact my life. Would I need to start a more vigorous food storage plan? I spoke with my friend Kelly who has her own bee hive (yep, she has her own bees) and she said that Bill the beekeeper (yep, Bill the beekeeper) had lost many of his hives this last year as well. There was an international summit held so scientists could analyze the problem and find a solution. In fact, they believe that "colony collapse disorder" may be related to a virus or parasite. Research continues.
I almost feel the need to hold a news conference. Because I know what's happening to the bees.



It goes a little something like this:


Bees enter house through window (we think)



Bees have unfortunate encounter with grease splatter guard



Bees Die.


More Bees Die.

Notice in the last picture there are 12 dead bees. 12. (it may look like 13 but one bee was cut in half.) That's a small number, in 2 days Krystin and my combined efforts resulted in the death of more than 30 bees.


"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man," said Albert Einstein.

4 short years, my apologies world. But we can't have all these bees in our house, especially when Bobby is ridiculously afraid of them. Although it is entertaining to watch him hide under covers and cower on all fours, it's just not okay. At least now we know where all the bees are going. Don't turn me in.




3 comments:

Renee said...

If you are going to contribute to the end of the world, I hope you are also going to contribute to keeping me alive (i.e. making up for all of the plants and animals you have killed and keeping me fed when the world comes to an end). I supposed killing them is one way to go, since them being in your house on the verge of death (and turning Bobby into a crying little girl) does not really qualify as them doing their "job" by pollinating and honey making. It's best you put them out of their misery...and Bobby's.

Lohra said...

Einstein doesn't know what he's talking about--he stole most of his ideas from his wife.
Kill away, my friend...kill away.

Unknown said...

Just thought I'd pass along a little something from Bill the beekeeper: the CCD is a virus that is presumed to have originated in Israel; unfortunately, the only species of bees not susceptible to this virus is the African Killer Bee - yikes! However, I think the grease swatter Kaydi (shown in pictures) could probably take care of the African Killer Bees for us...thank you Kaydi! :)